Please note: “They” refer to my family, relatives, friends, family friends and everyone else.
When I was in high school they were interested to know what subjects would i take in college. I disappointed them when I didn’t choose medicine or engineering (in India medicine and engineering are the courses studied by the intellectuals; whereas commerce and arts are for the stupids).
When I was finishing my Masters they were so interested about me getting a job. I disappointed them when I travelled alone to Budapest to work (according to the Indian standards- an unmarried girl living alone is easier to go astray).
When it was close to a year of work in Budapest they were so interested about me coming back to home. I disappointed them by actually coming back (they wanted to talk about it more; gossip about me).
When I got back home they were interested in me finding a new job or husband. They have for long been asking and doing the husband search for me but after two disasters and several rejections- they have kind off signed me off as the “unmarriable material”. So the next big thing they were behind me was why is that I can’t I find a job? I was jobless and doing nothing at home (I was happy and content; but their concerns were pressurizing me).
When I found myself a job they want me to get a driver’s license. It wasn’t until long did I realize that I am suffering from amaxophobia. Amaxophobia is an intense fear of riding in moving vehicles. Well I don’t mind travelling in moving vehicles but my fear, no; my phobia is to drive a vehicle which can move. I hate bumper cars in a controlled circuit; how can I ever drive in an uncontrolled road where people drive as though it is their backyard?
I just realized that they have registered interest in my life. I wish I could block and delete them; but before that I visualize life without them:
• No phone calls and/or text beeps
• Nobody telling me what and when to do
• Nobody telling me how much weight I have gained (when I have actually lost half a kg)
• Nobody with whom I can gossip
• Nobody telling me those “when I was your age stories”
• Nobody to lie and hear back lies
• Nobody telling me “why is it lovely to be married” and realizing my unmarried status tell me “why having a husband is a pain”
• Nobody complimenting me when they realize that I have had a huge complex with this super beautiful girl around.
• Nobody to rest my shoulder on.
• Nobody to burst into tears.
• Nobody to tell how my day is
• Nobody to nag about anything and everything on earth
• Nobody to drive me around town
• Nobody … actually my life will just stop if they are not in my life!
If you are among the “they”, no matter what role you play in my life; I have realized that life is worth living because you are there in it. Thank you for being the they in my life, you mean the world to me!
A big hug and a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig Thank you for everything!